Holy Trinity Cathedral – Yangon Attractions
Holy Trinity Cathedral is arguably the oldest colonial cathedral in Yangon. It is the chief Anglican cathedral in Myanmar and is situated on Bogyoke Aung San Road, Latha Township in Yangon. The Bogyoke Aung San Market is the closest landmark to the Holy Trinity Cathedral. This cathedral was designed by an Indian architect by the name of Robert Chisholm. The predominant style of this architecture is that of Indo-Saracenic with a specialty in adapting to warm and humid weather conditions. The construction for this imposing structure began in the year 1886 and the foundation stone was laid by Lord Duffein who was Indian Viceroy. The construction was completed in 1894.
Holy Trinity Cathedral has found a place in the Yangon City Heritage List and hence is one of the most significant structures of the city which you must not miss while visiting Myanmar. The present Dean/Vicar of this cathedral is Rev. Reginald Bennett who is a faculty at Holy Cross Theological College. The cathedral also serves as a memorial to several young British soldiers belonging to the 14th and 12th armies who died during the Burma Campaign. There are wall tabletures memorizing those young brave men. The garden surrounding the cathedral is beautiful but does not contain any burials.
Around 72,000 rupees was spent to build this structure. 1000 rupees from this sum of money was gathered from public subscriptions. Initially it had no facilities of a cathedral. They developed eventually. The first Divine Service was provided by the cathedral on Second Sunday of Advent, 1865. Due to shortage of funds the spire of the cathedral was installed in the year 1913 followed by the bell tower one year later. It also served as a brewery during Japanese invasion of Myanmar. The church had sustained damage once when the glass was broken and later mended.