Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue – Yangon Attractions
Located in Downtown Yangon, Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue is the only synagogue in the whole of Burma and the last remaining Jewish place of worship. This structure reminds of the colonial times and is located between the establishments of Muslim traders and some Indian Paint shops near the center of the city and in a small street. There is a plaque right at the entrance of the structure which states that that it was constructed some time between 1893 and 1896 and was built in place of the erstwhile structure that was constructed as early as 1854. The site in fact features prominently on the list of the Heritage Buildings marked by the Yangon City Development Council.
The synagogue was primarily built for the growing population of Baghdadi Jews who came from Bene Israel and the Middle East and also for the Cochini Jews who came to Burma from India during the colonial times. The plot was initially allotted by the British government and after Burma’s independence an extension was provided by the nation.
Before the start of the Second World War, the number of Jews in the country was more than 2500. A number of them left the country after the Japanese occupied the land. Even more followed when the Burmese army gained power in 1962. Though a second synagogue called Beth El came up much later in 1932, this age old structure continues to be a popular site and one of the important manifestations of Jewish faith in the country.
Address: 26th St, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)